Saturday 2 April 2011

A Mumbai Morning - A LOCAL Morning

I hail from the rural viscinity of Patna but have never been fortunate enough to stay there for long. From the little that I have seen into the lives of Bihari people, I do recall my memories of the local office commuting shuttle running between Buxar and Patna. I hope things would have now improved after Nitish regime as this local was then more known for running behind the schedules. What reigns my thoughts is the unorganised crowd that made me belief nothing could be more crowded unless I witnessed the stuffed locals in Mumbai.

Morning commuting is always a problem for me as I thrive for my comfort space. One local missed and you don't need a visit to spa. Furthermore, I can't even thurst myself into the mob and I had already missed the last two for their overwhelming crowd affinity. Glancing through the coaches I was evaluating whether it's any benifit paying more for a first class ticket. This one had started crawling when I realized little space on the next entrance of the coach. I quickly charged into the mob not to miss this much awaited opportunity.

The sudden jerk this uncle on the gate gave me to push me in was unpleasant. I gazed him awfully as I tried settling among the crowd. He must be in his late forties with scarce grey hairs. Yet, he deserved to be called an Uncle for his gesture. An young companion next to him was reading a neatly folded newspaper. There was indeed enough space as standing near the gate he could manage to glance through the lines. The newspaper edges were flipping a little with the airblow of the speeding train. The restless, uneasy Uncle stared this companion whenever the pages brushed near uncle's face, though distant enough not to touch him. May be Uncle had some acerbic discussions with Aunty in the morning, I assumed.

I usually have high respect for elders and people around me. However, this Uncle was seeming like a villian when I was all focussed to somehow quickly reach office. Once I even thought it good if someone gives him a little push or a blow in the natural process of offboarding rush on the crowded platforms. Came the next station and the Uncle got off softly. I was again lost thinking about day's schedule until I got a bad push from people behind. I hate Kurla for its atmosphere; I don't have any option as this is the closest to my office. I was cursing the morning as I had to wait a little more seeing the herd crawling on the foot overbridge. And then, an angelic aroma attracted my attention as a beautiful young lass talking on phone passed by me. Her sweet smile made me forget everything and suddenly my morning was worth it!!!

1 comment:

  1. Hey dude, this is very true. Even every individual must have experienced the same. While reading your blog actually I was able to visualize everything. But it is very exciting too yar. I do travel from Vashi to Dadar and to reach Dadar I need to change the local from Kurla, and the kind of experience at Kurla station, it is just like hell, no space to step down also then how will change the platform to take the local for Dadar.
    But Mumbai local is the lifeline of Mumbai, one of the best local train systems in India. I really enjoyed the local experience.

    ReplyDelete